USPS officials have decided to get rid of their midnight extended hours for April 15 this year.
SACRAMENTO - For all of you tax deadline day procrastinators, the West Sacramento processing and distribution center is the location that will be open the latest of all for Tuesday's tax deadline. It was much different in years past, when post offices would stay open until midnight on tax D-day, but the demand for that need has dropped significantly with more people opting to file electronically online.
Post office officials said over 90 percent of tax returns have been filed electronically. That leaves just 10 percent of the population across the country filing their taxes using the mail-in process, which leaves an even smaller percentage needing additional time.
Most post offices throughout Sacramento will be open until 5 p.m., with the exception of the West Sacramento branch remaining open until 9 p.m., and the Royal Oaks post office at 2000 Royal Oaks Drive, which will be open until 6 p.m.
Another thing to keep in mind beyond the closing times of the local post office is to be sure the return has sufficient postage. A 49 cent postage, or one stamp, is enough to mail three sheets of paper. Anything beyond that will likely need extra postage.
Last year the post offices throughout Sacramento were open for an extra hour, but the demand was just not there.